Watertown: 920-261-1630 | Lake Mills: 920-648-8381
About the Firm
Our Values
Since its founding in 1922, our firm’s goal has always been to provide quality legal services that meet our clients' needs in an efficient and ethically responsible manner. We are thoroughly committed to the service of our clients and our community. To that end, our firm is passionately dedicated to utilizing its vast experience and expertise to work in partnership with our clients and the community, act with honesty and integrity, build and maintain trust in all our relationships, and ultimately achieve success for our clients.
Our History

Our firm traces its origins to 1922, when Robert P. Ferry opened a law office on the West Lake Street in Lake Mills, Wisconsin. In 1964, John A. Neupert joined Ferry’s practice after serving as Jefferson County District Attorney. Thomas O. Wakeman joined the practice in 1974. In 2002, the firm then known as “Neupert & Wakeman, S.C.” relocated to its current office in the newly remodeled former home of the Bank of Lake Mills, across from Commons Park in downtown Lake Mills. In 2003, the firm opened an office at 114 West Madison Street in Waterloo, Wisconsin, where it shared office space with Gus Harms.

In 1939, George E. Niemann established a law office at the corner of First and Main Streets on the second floor of the Bank of Watertown building. Niemann entered into a partnership with Paul Hibbard in 1953, naming the firm “Niemann and Hibbard,” and acquiring the practice of the late Dodge County Judge William H. Woodard. Arnold K. Schumann joined the office in 1966, practicing until his appointment as Jefferson County Circuit Judge in 1982. George L. Neuberger, Jr. joined the firm in 1978 and John M. Ullsvik, after serving as Jefferson County District Attorney, joined the firm in 1979, which was then known as “Niemann, Hibbard, Schumann, Ullsvik, and Neuberger.” Carol M. Lorenz, Andrew R. Griggs, and Mark S. Sweet joined the firm in 1982, 1989, and 1991, respectively.

Niemann practiced law with the firm for 53 years, until his death in 1991. Hibbard retired from practice in 1985. Ullsvik practiced with the firm until his appointment as Jefferson County Circuit Court Judge in 1991. In 1995, the firm then known as “Neuberger, Lorenz, Griggs & Sweet” relocated to its current location at 136 Hospital Drive.

In 1959, Gus Harms opened a law office in Waterloo, Wisconsin. Harms served as City Attorney for the City of Waterloo from 1961 to 2002 and practiced until his death in 2010.

In 2006, the firms of “Neuberger, Lorenz, Griggs & Sweet” and “Neupert & Wakeman, S.C.” merged to form “Neuberger, Wakeman, Lorenz, Griggs & Sweet.” In 2010, the firm acquired the practice of Harms. On January 1, 2015, the firm became “Neuberger, Griggs, Sweet & Smith, LLP”.
 
Neuberger, Griggs, Sweet & Smith, LLP has served clients from our offices in Watertown and Lake Mills since 1922. Our firm regularly serves clients located in Dodge County, Jefferson County, Dane County, Columbia County, Washington County, and Waukesha County, the communities of the Watertown, Lake Mills, Waterloo, Johnson Creek, Reeseville, Ixonia, Oconomowoc, Sullivan, Jefferson, Cambridge, Columbus, Deerfield, Marshall, Juneau, Fort Atkinson, Beaver Dam, Hartford, Madison, Sun Prairie, Monona Grove, Cottage Grove, McFarland, Stoughton, Edgerton, Delafield, Pewaukee, Dousman, Hartland, Brookfield, and Waukesha, and all of Wisconsin.