Neuberger, Griggs, Sweet & Froehle, LLP

Termination of Parental Rights in Wisconsin

Adoption placement agreement in case of terminating parental rightsTerminating parental rights is a process that we get a lot of questions about. It’s also a very misunderstood process, and one that varies from state to state. We’ve listed a few pieces of information specific to Wisconsin and what parents (and other related parties) should know when they are researching information about terminating parental rights.

Adoption is a common reason parental rights are terminated.

The courts do grant a voluntary termination of rights when a step parent wants to adopt the child. In this case, both parents request a termination of parental rights. A step parent then files a petition for adoption. Usually, one parent cannot make the request to terminate a parent’s rights without the consent of the other and the courts are very reluctant to terminate a parent’s rights; there are circumstances where this is not always the case.

There are grounds for involuntary termination of rights.

In some cases, a father or mother’s rights can be terminated in Wisconsin. Usually, the termination occurs because of abandonment, neglect, abuse, incest, etc. This action can be taken by the government or another private petitioner.

Not paying child support or not being a “good parent” is not usually grounds for terminating parental rights. There are exceptions; contact an attorney with experience in family law to find out what the answer and next step is relating to your specific situation.

The materials on this website are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. These materials are intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be current, complete, or up-to-date and should in no way be taken as an indication of future results. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained in this website without first seeking the advice of an attorney.


Scroll to Top